The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4048 registered users. Our newest member is 20165.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Blacktooth Ridge Q&A (posted by Hammer)Blacktooth Ridge Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by TannTalas)Blacktooth Ridge
Common Room - Free RPG Day 2022! (posted by CyrDraconis)Free RPG Day 2022!
Fantasy RPGs - Fire & Shadow RPG (posted by Nomad D2)Fire & Shadow RPG
Q&A Threads - Fire and Shadow (Name May Change) (posted by dragon-soul92)Fire & Shadow Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Blacktooth Ridge
Related thread: Blacktooth Ridge Q&A
    Messages in Blacktooth Ridge
RDI T-shirts!

Crap
Price: $17.00



RDI T-shirts!

Got Dice? Tee
Price: $17.00

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1389 Posts


You dare not be hit by my fire????????????

Soledad hissed a curse that would have drained the color from a dwarf as she watched her firebolt burn past the vile little goblin. That was NOT allowed! In punishment she sent another mote of flame burning through the air towards the wretchen creature. 

((OOC: Firebolt, target the goblin in the rocks))



Posted on 2022-03-12 at 09:31:57.

Jim
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 1/0
44 Posts


Don't let it escape!

Uthal, watches, dissaponted as his shot misses his target. He glimpses a stone from nowhere strike the goblin square between the eyes, just a split second before it is skewered by a javelin. Looking back, Uthal sees where it came from and passes an approving nod at Lilly's marksmanship.

Realising the second goblin could blow their cover. Uthal stumbles up the thicket and rocks to get as close as possible to the creature before picking up seven small twigs, stripping them to a point with his teeth and casting Spider Growth at the ground under the remaining goblin.



Posted on 2022-03-12 at 22:50:30.
Edited on 2022-03-13 at 21:05:59 by Jim

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 93/24
4352 Posts


Prepared To Launch A Guiding Bolt

Dok had taken up his usual position at the rear of the group in his usual attempt at protecting his adventuring friends from an unexpected attack from behind.

As the attack on the 2 Goblins proved to be a 50/50 success/failure, the Hill Dwarf Cleric of Helm breathed a well-formed prayer as he positioned himself for a closer look beyond the intended target aka the remaining Goblin who was desperately clinging to the rocks for dear life!

Dok stared intently towards the Pyre, where an unknown number of foes may or may not have been alerted to the successful / unsuccessful attack against the 2 Goblins targeted by the Party.

Relying on the others to dispatch the remaining Goblin as swiftly and silently as possible, Dok concentrated on positioning himself to greet any would-be Goblin reinforcements from entering the fray!

The Hill Dwarf Cleric of Helm was prepared to launch a Guiding Bolt directly against any reinforcements that may or may not come to the aid of the remaining Goblin!

(())OOC: 1st Level Spell Guiding Bolst >>> A flash of light streaks toward a creature of your choice within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage, thanks to the mystical dim light glittering on the target until then. / Dok has positioned himself in the best possible position to both protect himself from an attack, plus launch the Guiding Bolt at any incoming Goblin reinforcements that may be responding to the plight of the remaining Goblin!))



Posted on 2022-03-13 at 13:56:58.

dragon-soul92
RDI Fixture
Karma: 16/1
718 Posts


Take 2, aaaand action!

Thäoran's thin brows lowered as his arrow missed the wretched goblin. Emitting a sharp sigh, he once again nocked an arrow and again waited for Soledad's fireball to go first before he let loose his shaft so his missile wasn't turned to ash by the witch's flame. He then aimed at the goblin and fired, hoping this time either his or Soledad's attack found their mark...


Posted on 2022-03-13 at 14:17:06.

Altaira
Resident
Karma: 24/0
358 Posts


Next Round

Lilly watched at the stone she loosed struck her target dead center of it’s forehead, and a javelin thrown by someone else struck the same target and it fell dead through the branches of the tree to slam into the ground.

“Ha,” she gave a short laugh and turned briefly to smile towards the others and return the nod of Uthal as he apparently approved of her accuracy.  She briefly saw that the other guard escaped any harm, so she started up the incline to try and get a better shot at the guard who wasn’t as protected as it thought.  

Moving up toward the guard, she slipped another stone into the sling pocket and once she saw an opportunity she stopped and bracing her hoopak’s sharp end into the ground to brace it for a better shot, and loosed another stone at the last visible guard.

(OOC: Ok, not sure how much she can move and still take a shot, but she will move as much as she can at a slant to the side to try and get a clearer shot, then fire off another shot.  Forgive my ignorance, as I’m trying to learn how the combat works in a rules system. )



Posted on 2022-03-13 at 14:36:12.

WhomstHasSummonedTom
Regular Visitor
Karma: 2/0
77 Posts


Buying bow

Cursing that the other goblin had survived and seeing it's positioning and his own, Gerdar headed over to the skewer to retrieve his javelin.

 

(If I don't have to dash to get it I'll just throw it at the hanging goblin thx.)



Posted on 2022-03-18 at 15:53:15.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 180/119
6764 Posts


Ready for battle

For Silver, an arrow pulled back on the bow and ready for an attack, a second arrow beside her. The Half-Elf was once again aiming towards the cave’s entrance. Waiting giving, watching Hornet moving closer to the open to the cave, Silver watching for anything thing for Goblins, or Hobgoblins. Silver knew this time that everyone was ready for a second attempt to battle the last of the enemy and finish off the rest. Hopefully it would be much easier then before.

"Everyone aim for that goblin in the rocks.  Hopefully we get lucky and kill it quick"

Without hesitation, a arrow fired, and hopefully a scored a hit, Silver had a second arrow picked and pulled back ready once more to attack. 



Posted on 2022-03-19 at 22:16:46.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 51/6
2912 Posts


The call of a horn

The group was both pleased and angered with their sneak attack.  The nearer goblin in the tree was dad and crushed on the ground in front of them, but the one in the rocks above remained.  The group turned their attention to the remaining guard in an attempt to silence the creature before it could alert those at the pyre. 

               The first to act were Hornet and Soledad who both turned and fired at the guard.  Hornet’s bolt came close, but the concealing rocks saved the creature, as they did from Soledad’s firebolt.  The witch was again angered to see her fire splash harmlessly against the rocks and not into the face of her target.  Lily ran up the hill a bit and fired her sling but shooting uphill and still 75’ away, her shot did not do any good.  Uthal moved forward as well and decided that instead of taking out the creature immediately he would pin it where it was with the spell grow spikes – which caused spikes to suddenly emerge all around the goblin in such a way that any movement it made would almost certainly result in a very unpleasant experience.  (I assume this is the spell you meant since “spider growth” is not a spell I am familiar with, you have this spell, and it makes sense.)  The little goblin shrieked at its new predicament. 

               But the creature didn’t have long to shriek as Thaoran and Silver both struck it with arrows at the same time.  Tharoan’s hit it in the shoulder and Silver’s flew straight into the creature’s eye.  It stopped making noise as it fell over and was skewered by one of Uthal’s spikes.  It lay there unmoving above the party on the ridge. 

               That left the two dwarves.  Gerdar moved forward to the dead goblin and retrieved his javelin.  Dok also moved forward and passed Gerdar in order to take a forward position facing the pyre – the most likely place from which more enemies might show themselves.   (Dok spoke about “rear-guard” but also about protecting from reinforcements – as the source of likely reinforcements are forward – I moved him there.  I hope that is ok.) 

               As the group repositioned themselves they wondered if their assault had been noticed – and they did not have long to wait in order to find out.  Only moments after the goblin above them had gotten spiked a horn of some sort sounded on the ridge – forward and above the group.  Almost certainly it came from about where the pyre was located.  What those who were up there were doing nobody could tell, but that they were doing something now seemed obvious. 

               But the groups tally now included two more goblins. 

Overview

The goblin guards are dead.  All directly around you is quiet.  The ridge climbs to your right.  You could get about 100’ up (To where the dead goblin is) but after that it is a shear cliff straight up.  Moving laterally along the ridge would (below that 100’ mark) be difficult going and quite slow but possible. 

               To your left the Hreusen River flows.  Fairly clear paths (thanks to goblins gathering firewood) go forward (North) along the river.  Movement there looks easy.  To get to the pyre’s location you would need to go about 100 yards (300 feet) forward – a bit less for Gerdar and Dok who are ahead of the rest.  From there you would need to turn right – and go about 100’ up the ridge to reach the pyre.  At about the same level that the goblin guard’s body is at Boris told you there would be a flat space where they have built the pyre.  From where you are at you cannot see that flat space – just the tower of smoke emanating from it.  Behind it the cliff rises several hundred feet straight up.  All you know about what is there is that you heard a horn. 



Posted on 2022-03-20 at 18:03:32.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 59/18
2560 Posts




With goblins dead and a horn sounded it was time to move. "Might as well take the path.  If they know we are here it is the quickest way to get to them and we can move.  Climbing makes us easier targets if they send a welcoming party."  With a fresh bolt in his crossbow Hornet started up the path towards the pyre.   He wondered if the horn was an alarm or simply a shift change.  Did goblins have shift changes? 



Posted on 2022-03-27 at 06:29:47.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1389 Posts


The path it is

Soledad nodded to Hornet in agreement. His logic was sound. The golden witch spoke a word of power to summon a skin of magical armor around herself. Armed with a series of magics, Soledad joined the others on the march along the path to the pyre.



Posted on 2022-03-27 at 09:08:05.

dragon-soul92
RDI Fixture
Karma: 16/1
718 Posts


Right, Let's Be Off...

Thäoran nocked another arrow as he followed his companions up the path towards the pyre. Hopefully, things would go better than last time and they'd finally get inside the Vargolg. The elf kept a watchful eye for goblins as he went, in case the nasty little fiends had crept up on them without them noticing.


Posted on 2022-03-27 at 17:25:14.

Altaira
Resident
Karma: 24/0
358 Posts


Forward

Lilly snorted in disappointment when her stone fell well short as the target was too far away.  She smirked and was contemplating her next move, when others offered up their thoughts on the next action.

"Might as well take the path.  If they know we are here it is the quickest way to get to them and we can move.  Climbing makes us easier targets if they send a welcoming party."  With a fresh bolt in his crossbow Hornet started up the path towards the pyre.  

She saw others also moving to the path, and without further hesitation, she moved to follow them at her fastest pace, her hoopak was held ready just in case something sprang out to attack her. 



Posted on 2022-03-27 at 18:48:02.

Jim
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 1/0
44 Posts


The path. Agreed

Uthal, shakes his head approvingly at Hornets plan, adding with a quiet grunt "ah huh". He waits to follow at the back of the adventuring party. Preparing a bullet and positioning it in his sling, readying for an attack then following on. Listening carefully for any rustling in the woodlands or sounds indicative of approaching danger as they proceed.



Posted on 2022-03-28 at 02:53:31.
Edited on 2022-03-28 at 02:54:19 by Jim

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 51/6
2912 Posts


That is one way to get down a hill

With the goblin in the rocks dead the group was hopeful that they could move forward unannounced, but the sounding of a horn seems to have shattered that dream.  Ahead of them at the pyre it seems someone was making noise.  Was it about them?  They didn’t know, but the timing did not bode well.

               Hornet quickly called for action and indicated that they should move forward.  Most of the others quickly indicated approval and the group moved forward.  The dwarves (who were already at the front on the path) and Hornet took the lead.  The rest followed.  They didn’t have far to go since if there was a path leading up to the pyre it could only be about 300’ ahead. 

               The group moved at a moderate pace – trying for some speed but generally maintaining a careful and quiet approach.  After about 250’ there was a burst of noise in front of them and a rush of movement.  With a few small yelps and a fair amount of crashing a goblin suddenly came tumbling down the ridge 50’ in front of them.  The creature bounced off of the ground a couple of times down the last 15’ or so (all of the path up the group could see), careened off of a tree at the bottom and pinwheeled into the river with a splash.  It didn’t appear intentional, and a group of other goblins stumbled down quickly after it – not falling, but not precisely in control of their momentum either.  Reaching the bottom, they staggered to a halt and looked in your direction.  As one, several of them screamed and pointed at the group.

               Six goblins stand 50’ before you on the path.

Overview

You are 50’ away from the goblins.  You are on a path running parallel to the river – at this point the path is close to the river – varying from 10’ to as little as 1-2 feet from the water edge.  The path here is wide enough that the 8 of you can maneuver however you wish.  The path runs straight ahead to the goblins.  At that point a path seems to go straight to the right and up the ridge.  You can’t see much on the sides by you or near the goblins and the other path because of vegetation, rocks and the overall incline of the ridge.  You are really just assuming there is a path ahead because the goblins came down there.  Smoke does still rise from the pyre over 100’ above your heads. 

*I assumed you did not run forward as nobody indicated that you did so and that requires you to take the dash action.

**Not mentioned above, but Soledad did cast Mage Armor.



Posted on 2022-03-29 at 18:17:41.
Edited on 2022-03-29 at 18:18:54 by Nomad D2

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 93/24
4352 Posts


Dok Nodded To Lilly

Dok nodded to Lilly as he took up a position in front of her on the journey along the path, having agreed to allow Uthal to take the Hill Dwarf Cleric of Helm's usual position at the back of the line.

Dok was itching for some payback against the Goblin foes and whatever else may show its ugly heads!

Dok was ready with a Guiding Bolt, hoping to get into a position where he had a clear shot, without endangering any one else in the adventuring party!

He also had a firm grip on his weapon, in case of a surprise!



Posted on 2022-03-29 at 18:21:16.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.




Page loaded in 0.072180 seconds