The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4040 registered users. Our newest member is WhomstHasSummonedTom.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Dungeons and Dragons - Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by dragon-soul92)Blacktooth Ridge
Q&A Threads - Blacktooth Ridge Q&A (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Blacktooth Ridge Q&A
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Nomad D2)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Posting Games - Most people logged in (posted by dragon-soul92)Most people logged in
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Espatier)Flesh & Blood Game
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Free form RPGs --> Sci Fi --> Star Trek: The Scales of Eternity
Related thread: Star Trek: Scales of Eternity Recruitment
Related thread: Star Trek: The Scales of Eternity Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Raven, Bromern Sal, Eol Fefalas, Merideth, Odyson, Altaira, Ragnar, Ragnar, CameToPlay, Alverstar
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   
    Messages in Star Trek: The Scales of Eternity
RDI T-shirts!

Dungeon Master
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00

Merideth
Muse-i-licious
RDI Staff
Karma: 180/13
3243 Posts


Temper... Temper

Stardate: 2356.05.16

USS Peregrine, Shuttle Bay 2 – Aurora Angel – 01:25

A pile of chocolate wrappers lay in an avalanche across her desk back in engineering.  In her quarters a small plant lay on its side, blue petals drooping down to sweep across the floor, the ceramic pot it called home cracked down the middle.  As for California Eugene Kennedy herself?  She stood up in one of the bays of the Aurora, her hands stretched up into a panel in the ceiling.  Loud music pumped through the speakers in the little ship, making it vibrate in time with the deep beats.  

Everything, it seemed, was not going well after the staff meeting.  She was still kicking herself for lying to her Captain, even if he had understood what she was doing it for and had apparently accepted it, it still did not sit right with her.  They barely had a working relationship, and already she was staring him in the eye and lying to his face.  Grumbling she yanked on the line of wires she had in her hand, gaining another foot or so of it in her grip as she did.  

To make matters worse she wasn’t finding the solution to their problem.  Even now it didn’t come to her.  She had wanted to talk to John.  They had spent three weeks together hashing through a myriad collection of problems concerning the Peregrine.  He was easy to talk to, even easier to toss ideas around with, and there was even the (remote) possibility that he was a better engineer than she was.  She knew she couldn’t though, not yet at any rate.  The Starbase could not get a whiff of what was going on here, damn the Prime Directive.  

The solution was there, it was always there, or at least that was what she had always thought.  The issue was connecting the ideas in her mind.  Right now all of her thoughts bounced back and forth between two central ideas.  7 Billion People!  It’s the deflector shield, but… how!?    

She gave another hard pull on the wires and this time several feet gave way and she tumbled back at the sudden release in pressure on the other end.  The wire tumbled out of the open panel and coiled on the floor below.  Her feet caught on each other and she stepped backward into a wall, which thankfully stopped her backward progression and left her standing.  With a curse she kicked at the wiring.  

“Can’t even do this right!  For heaven’s sake - California!”  She growled, the anger starting to well up in her chest.  

There were only a few more hours left before she had to be on duty, but she couldn’t sleep, she couldn’t work either.  None of this was going well.  There was wrench laying on one of the nearby counters, and suddenly it was in her hands.  The metallic clang of it hitting against one of the wall panels rang out through the Aurora, followed by another and another, a few curses mingled into the distressing music she created.  



Posted on 2021-04-14 at 23:34:51.

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 158/11
4402 Posts




Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:48
USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:45

Scrambled eggs—three to be exact—with melted sharp cheddar cheese and pico de mayo bunched up next to four pieces of thick-cut apple maple bacon and a thick waffle covered in melted sweet butter and maple syrup send tendrils of tantalizing aromas to tickle his nostrils. A little blurry-eyed, Ander reaches across the meal and lifts the piping white mug bearing the Starfleet logo to just below his lips, for a moment allowing the aromatic aroma of sweetened coffee to join the symphony of scents.

"Even with a full cycle of sleep," the COO states with a gentle smile on his lips, his eyes closed, "the smell of coffee will wake you up."

Across from the Latino man sits a blue-skinned Andorian with a blue and black uniform. Ferrero knows enough about Andorians to know that they don't need nearly the amount of sleep that humans do. I wonder if he even knows what being sleep deprived feels like, Ander muses, opening his eyes to meet the scientist's gaze.

"Yes, well," he pauses to sip the hot liquid, "enough of the small talk. Ops has been scouring the communications and it's a little all over the place. Tell me your department has had better luck."

Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 51:07
USS Peregrine, Deck 5 - 1435

Ander stares at the PADD in hand, frowning at the stream of reports from Alpha shift when O'Connor arrives and approaches him. He sees her from the corner of his eye and looks up to receive her salute.

"Petty Officer Frist Class Aoife O'Connor reporting, sir. Petty Officer Amai is medically indisposed, sure. Herself is on the way to Doctor Veen now; the poor lass 'as a terrible headache on her, so I'd be standing her Ops watch today."

Lieutenant Ferrero straightens and his face brightens at the sight of her. "Poor, Mr. Amai," he says with an inappropriate amount of cheer, "But it's jodidamente bueno that she has such a helpful roommate. Take your post, Mr. O'Connor."

"Aye, sir," O'Connor replies.

Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 47:59
USS Peregrine, Deck 1, Bridge - 1829

Aoife swallows, takes a breath, and speaks aloud. "Lieutenant Ferrero," she opens, "I've a broadcast found tha' ye need to hear, sir."

Ander turns his heavily-hooded gaze towards the woman and responds, the PADD he's still reviewing now resting on his left knee while he sits in the captain's chair. "Oh? Please tell me it's a stand-up comedy routine that's actually funny."

"This message is being sent every half hour," she explains. Aoife presses a button and translated audio fills the bridge.

=/\= Attention, space-faring beings. We, the citizens of Archin, know that we are not alone in this universe. There is no possibility that so many habitable planets exist in our galaxy with no other intelligent life on them. We may not yet see you, but we know that you are there.

Our world will be destroyed by an asteroid that we cannot prevent. But if you are here and receiving this broadcast, then you surely possess the technology to do so. 

Please, we beg of you. Save our children. Save our species. Save our world. =/\=

"Tha's all of it," Aoife pronounces as the audio falls silent, her alto voice even lower and more husky than normal. "They're askin' for our help, sure, sir."

Ander blinks rapidly, absorbing the message, his eyebrows raised in surprise. "Well... eso no le gana a todo ..." of course, the crew is going to want more than that. "Mr. Reid, where is Archin located and what do we know of it?"

(OOC: Assuming a report...)

"And the origin of the broadcast, Mr. O'Connor?" he turns his inquisitive gaze towards the Petty Officer.

(OOC: Assuming a report...)

"Do we know anything at all about the gato who's voice we're hearing?" This question, he leaves hanging in the air for anyone to respond to. "And how long have they known about the asteroid? Anyone have any idea about that one?"

He wants to have answers before he reaches out to Captain Drake. 

 



Posted on 2021-04-17 at 00:07:22.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 158/25
6305 Posts




Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 47:59
USS Peregrine, Deck 1, Bridge - 18:29

John listened as PO O'Connor addressed the Lieutenant.

"Lieutenant Ferrero, I've a broadcast found tha' ye need to hear, sir."

Ander responds, "Oh? Please tell me it's a stand-up comedy routine that's actually funny."

"This message is being sent every half hour," Aoife presses a button and translated audio fills the bridge.

=/\= Attention, space-faring beings. We, the citizens of Archin, know that we are not alone in this universe. There is no possibility that so many habitable planets exist in our galaxy with no other intelligent life on them. We may not yet see you, but we know that you are there.

Our world will be destroyed by an asteroid that we cannot prevent. But if you are here and receiving this broadcast, then you surely possess the technology to do so. 

Please, we beg of you. Save our children. Save our species. Save our world. =/\=

"Tha's all of it," Aoife pronounces as the audio falls silent, her alto voice even lower and more husky than normal. "They're askin' for our help, sure, sir."

The Lieutenant responed,"Well... eso no le gana a todo ..."......"Mr. Reid, where is Archin located and what do we know of it?"

John looked up from the TAC,"Sir, I would have to believe that Archin is the what they call their world, Calican II is the Federation designation for the planet. By this time I'd guess the brodcasts were being sent in all directions from around the plant to better their chances to have them recieved."

"And the origin of the broadcast, Mr. O'Connor?" he turns his inquisitive gaze towards the Petty Officer.

(OOC: Assuming a report...)

"Do we know anything at all about the gato who's voice we're hearing?" This question, he leaves hanging in the air for anyone to respond to. "And how long have they known about the asteroid? Anyone have any idea about that one?"

He wants to have answers before he reaches out to Captain Drake. 



Posted on 2021-04-17 at 17:32:49.
Edited on 2021-04-27 at 20:48:11 by Odyson

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 158/25
6305 Posts


Look for Option B.........

Stardate 2634.5.15
USS Peregrine, Deck 5, CTO's Office - 19:45

John had sent the basic facts of what the Peregrine’s fire power could do but now he guessed Zhay-la needed to figure out how to do a full rack break into a three cushion bank shot around the eight ball. The Lieutenant may have been able to direct an attack on an incoming enemy but the subtle use of force may be a challenge.

They had talked over the ideas: Will we get a better reaction to a full impact body blow or a high energy sustained push to drive the asteroid a few degrees off current course? 

Would we need Engineering and flight ops to figure how many degrees is needed to miss the planet and send the asteroid on its merry way? Or Science to figure how small of bits it needs to be pulverized into to render it harmless? 

Knocking it off course has to figure the impact in just the right location to push the whole thing and not just start it spinning like a pinwheel.

Or can it be broken into chunks that can be more easily moved with shuttles and tractor beams.

They had tried the holodeck to run simulations of photon torpedo arrays for time enhanced reaction and viewing. Zhay-la was showing signs of frustration, “Reid, this still isn’t enough; it is not conclusive. If it wasn’t for the Captain so worried about that Prime Directive more force might be able to be applied.”

Reid was torn, he had an idea that may prove sufficient to move or even break up the asteroid but he needed someone else’s help. What he had in mind was on the edge of breaking the Prime Directive and he couldn’t tell Taissud. He had promised her he would always tell her the truth but he hadn’t promised to always volunteer the truth. There was only one other person on the ship he could dare discuss this with and still protect the Captain from suspicion, “Sir, with your leave I’ll look into this further.”

Zhay-la looked up from the data on her comm, “Very well, see what else you can find. Dismissed.”

John left the CTO’s office and headed up to find the First Officer.



Posted on 2021-04-17 at 23:27:21.
Edited on 2021-04-27 at 20:48:33 by Odyson

Alverstar
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 3/0
27 Posts


One mans breakfast, another mans poison.

Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:48
USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:45

 

Esel looked over the table of arrayed food and did his best to hide his disgust, hoping that his table manners where up to the job. Even will his best scientific head on, he couldn't shake the fear that just being around, seeing and or smelling such foods would poison and corrupt his body to the point he was no longer an efficient being.  

 Each to their own, who am I to judge anothers choice.  

He mused while wondering how a man who enjoyed this type of food in this quantity managed to keep his uniform fitting, he took a draft of his tall iced water, savouring the feeling of it entering his system.

"Even with a full cycle of sleep," the COO stated with a smile, his eyes closed, "the smell of coffee will wake you up."  

"Indeed" He nodded in agreement, though coffee was still a poison that he would not upset the balance of his body with by ingesting it, the aroma certainly had a captivating quality to it.  

The COO opened his eyes finally and looked across at Esel,

"Yes, well," he pauses to sip the hot liquid, "enough of the small talk. Ops has been scouring the communications and it's a little all over the place. Tell me your department has had better luck."

Picking the PADD up from the seat beside him, he started to lay out the foundation of the plan. Sliding the PADD across the table so that the COO could see the visuals whilst enjoying his meal.

".....Basically If we can redirect enough power to the deflector, whilst maintaining a close and fast orbit, we can act as a Gravity Tractor and pull the asteroid off course without any explosions or energy signatures."   

"The effeteness of this approach would be increase with assistance from other Starfleet assets within system. The only consideration is how far do we pull it and in which new direction do we send it safely."

As he finished, he sent the data over to the COO, and sat back taking another draft from his glass and waited patiently for him to finish his current mouthful, and to hear his thought on the data presented.



Posted on 2021-04-23 at 06:30:12.

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 158/11
4402 Posts




Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:45
USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:48

Picking the PADD up from the seat beside him, Esel started to lay out the foundation of the plan. Sliding the PADD across the table so that the COO can see the visuals whilst enjoying his meal.

"...Basically, If we can redirect enough power to the deflector, whilst maintaining a close and fast orbit, we can act as a Gravity Tractor and pull the asteroid off course without any explosions or energy signatures." The CSO pauses a moment to allow the information to sink in. "The effectiveness of this approach would be increased with assistance from other Starfleet assets within system. The only consideration is how far do we pull it and in which new direction do we send it safely."

As he finishes, he sends the data over to the COO's account and sits back taking another draft from his glass while waiting patiently for Ander to finish his current mouthful, and to hear his thoughts on the data presented.

Lt. Ferrero sets the fork down and chews on his eggs, his tired eyes scanning the information presented in the PADD. He understands the basics having taken many science classes in the Academy but the deeper math and equations are Greek to him. Swallowing his bite, the Operations Officer scratches at his chin and nods slowly. 

"Bueno," he says with less energy than he intends. "This will likely present very well, only... we don't yet have an inkling in how to align this effort with the Prime Directive. Gaining assistance from additional Starfleet assets may be out of the question. Have you checked with Engineering to confirm the viability of this? Perhaps even rerouting power to increase the output of the deflector to compensate for a lack of additional ships?"

Pushing the PADD back towards Esel once he sees the transfer of data indicated in the notifications, Ander takes up his fork again and pushes some eggs around on his plate as he contemplates another factor that just came to mind. "In line with the Prime Directive," he muses, "How do we provide an explanation for the change in direction that the people of Calican II would accept should they discover it? True, their technology isn't exactly up to our standards but there's some chatter that indicates people are aware of the pending collision. A sudden change in trajectory might be suspicious."



Posted on 2021-04-23 at 19:26:51.

Alverstar
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 3/0
27 Posts


Eggs and Expectations

Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:45

USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:48

"Bueno, this will likely present very well, only... we don't yet have an inkling in how to align this effort with the Prime Directive. Gaining assistance from additional Starfleet assets may be out of the ques-tion. Have you checked with Engineering to confirm the viability of this? Perhaps even rerouting power to increase the output of the deflector to compensate for a lack of additional ships?"

"You are quite correct on all accounts, for the Prime Directive we are already freefalling into murky skies and without assistance by our calculations we will need get this started today, as for the power requirements it is possible for the Peregrine to do, but not without great danger. I'm still awaiting the final report from Engineering to come through, but time is critical so having all persons in place and aware will save time.

The COO pushes the PADD towards him, and starts eating again, this time obvious thinking about the situation at hand and no longer savouring his food, before carrying on.

"In line with the Prime Directive, how do we provide an explanation for the change in direction that the people of Calican II would accept should they discover it? True, their technology isn't exactly up to our standards but there's some chatter that indicates people are aware of the pending collision. A sudden change in trajectory might be suspicious."

Esel studied the man before him for a moment before shrugging his shoulders. "Honestly its irrelevant what they think, accept or believe. Whether its a mis calculation by them, some cosmic force or Divine intervention. We are not here; they don't know we are here, and we are not going to swoop in for a medal ceremony."

He paused briefly and gave out a low chuckle "Besides the gravity tractor solution is much cleaner than it suddenly bursting into billions of pieces, and swamping the planet in a grand light show, as you suggested might happen post the brief."

He sat back and took a swig of water, and looked out of the window into the darkness beyond.

But should we be interveaning at all.



Posted on 2021-04-26 at 06:39:10.
Edited on 2021-04-26 at 07:13:32 by Alverstar

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 158/25
6305 Posts


An Unpleasent Alternitive.....

Stardate 2634.5.15
USS Peregrine, Deck 5 - 20:00

John tucked his PADD under his arm and then tapped his comm., “Computer, where is Commander Zai?”

=^= “Lieutenant Commander Zai is in his quarters.”=^=

Reaching the turbo lift, he tapped the panel. When the door slid open he entered, “Level two, please.” He knew the pleasantry wasn’t needed but it had always been part of him to be respectful, even to mechanical voices.

Exiting the lift he made his way to the Seconds’s quarters, activated the door chime and waited.

(Assuming Tochi says to enter)

Entering the hastily said,” Commander, may I speak to you in private?”

Tochi was seated at his work station review reports, looking up, he regarded the urgency of the ACTO’s face.

(Assuming he says something and then closes the door.)

Stepping forward John held out his PADD the Commander, “Sir, I don’t know how much information the CTO has shared as of yet on the use of force on the asteroid to destroy or alter its course. I have discussed the photon torpedo strategies Lieutenant Taissard, we ran several pattern simulations but none seemed to be powerful enough. The only alternative I can see to create a significantly larger effect would be a warp core breach.

The type-10 shuttle has a 250 Cochrane warp engine, that would yield a nearly 690 gigaton explosion.

(Assuming the Commander has some comments.)

“Sir, there is no stealthy way to deploy either the photon torpedos or to destroy a Federation asset. Those could easily be interpreted as action in violation of the Prime Directive….” John let that hang for a moment before he continued.

“But there may be an alternative to using a Federation asset.”  John knew what he was about to say would affect the Commander. Zai had recently suffered a personal loss of two close friends whose memory is tied to what he was about to suggest; an idea that would be like rubbing salt in those wounds.  

John steeled himself and continue, “There is another non Federation warp craft on board, “ he paused..” that has been going through some repair work and would need a test flight….”

 John’s heart hurt but he had to continue, “It would be Peregrines’ obligation to mitigate any action created by such an accident, such as removing the asteroid’s debris field which could be interpreted as complying to the Directive.”

John waited his fate.



Posted on 2021-04-26 at 13:28:23.
Edited on 2021-04-27 at 20:49:12 by Odyson

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 158/25
6305 Posts


As Requested............

Stardate 2634.5.15
USS Peregrine, Deck 5, CTO’s Office - 20:00

Zhay-la looked up from the data on her comm, “Very well, see what else you can find. Dismissed.”

Lieutenant Reid rose and left her office.

As the door slide shut the Orion officer pounded her fist on the desk, “This is not what I signed for. This is war ship, we should be tracking down pirates or Klingons or Romulans, not attacking some chunk of rock…how will I show them….?

Well she would just have to wait, but until then she needed to share these reports with the captain as he had requested.

‘Computer, where is Captain Drake?’

=^= Captain Drake is in the Captain’s Ready Room. =^=

Taissard took her PADD and headed to the lift. As she exited on level two she saw Reid step into Commander Zai’s room; the door sliding closed behind him. Her brow furrowed as she wondered why her ATOC would be consulting with the ship’s second officer..but then she has told him gather more information. She must remember to inquire about this later.

Reaching the Ready Room she activated the chime.

(assuming the Captain opens the door and calls her in.)

Lifting her PADD as she entered, “Captain I have the results of my analysis of our weapons on the asteroid. The holodeck simulations were not as conclusive as I would have liked; I have Mister Reid checking to find other options.”

Zhay-la handed the PADD to the Captain, “Seeing that time grows shorter I wanted to present what we have.”



Posted on 2021-05-03 at 12:10:28.

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 158/11
4402 Posts




Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:41

USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:52

"In line with the Prime Directive, how do we provide an explanation for the change in direction that the people of Calican II would accept should they discover it? True, their technology isn't exactly up to our standards but there's some chatter that indicates people are aware of the pending collision. A sudden change in trajectory might be suspicious."

Esel studies the man before him for a moment before shrugging his shoulders. "Honestly it's irrelevant what they think, accept, or believe. Whether it's a miscalculation by them, some cosmic force, or Divine intervention. We are not here; they don't know we are here, and we are not going to swoop in for a medal ceremony."

He pauses briefly and gives out a low chuckle, "Besides the gravity tractor solution is much cleaner than it suddenly bursting into billions of pieces, and swamping the planet in a grand light show, as you suggested might happen post the brief."

The Chief Science Officer sits back and takes a swig of water, and looks out of the window into the darkness beyond. Ander chews on the inside of his left cheek for a couple of seconds while he ponders the Andorian's position. Slowly nodding his head, Ferrero uses his fork to cut away a portion of his meal and then absentmindedly deposits it in his mouth. Too reckless, he concludes. At least without some way of scientifically explaining the detour...

"I'm afraid I need to disagree, Esel," Ander says after swallowing. "The Prime Directive requires no interference. Without arguing the finer philosophical points and just sticking with the facts at hand, anyone with a decent amount of skill could argue that an unexplained change to the trajectory of the meteor affected the inhabitants. Who knows what kind of disruption it could cause in their societies? Maybe the course of their entire theology might be affected, or their focus on science completely derailed... I'm just pointing out that when we present this option to the Captain, we better have answers to those kinds of questions." Reaching for his coffee, he adds, "And I'm not the scientist here so coming up with an idea here is completely out of my wheelhouse, comprendo?"

Lifting the steaming beverage to his lips, Ander does his best to portray a friendly visage, understanding the militant nature of Andorians and not wishing to insult Esel.



Posted on 2021-05-10 at 17:08:22.

Alverstar
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 3/0
27 Posts




Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:41

USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:52

Esel calmly turned towards the man in front of him, reminding himself that they were in the mess hall and that a less formal tone of conversation was not only excepted but expected. He took a deep breath as he collected his thought, he needed to calmly and rationally work his way through his next few sentences with as much decorum as possible.

"The moment the Captain made the decision to involve us into the plight of Calican II we plunged headfirst off the lofty cliff of 'No Interference' there is no getting away from that, no matter the justification. Should we be successful in this venture and manage to prevent the natural extinction of the populace of Calican II you are quite correct in that their species will evolve differently on many, many levels, there is no way to avoid that in this situation, because the fact is it shouldn't survive or evolve, as the comet should make their species extinct."

He paused and took a breath, he could feel his skin starting to prickle, as his emotional state started to unbalance.

"There is no magic science wand that can be waved to make things right, to justify the why, and to prevent objects being acted on by an outside force, only personnal belief and justification in doing the right thing."

He paused Here we go

"As for the Captain, we shall have to see. I don't know about you, but this is all to neat for me. This ship and crew undergo a horrific ordeal, but just happened to be refitted and staffed and the first mission they are sent on just happens to be in a system with a life ending comet roaring through it. I mean if the Calicans know it's coming then Star Fleet must have known about this long before that, with the mining operations going on in this system and all the shipping, that comet must have affected it all in some form as it entered. This is a test of the Captain, I imagine there is a group of Officials sat near buy watching this play out to see if he/ we are capable of maintaining the PD or are we going to break it once and possible be prone to dive into every situation we find breaking the PD to keep the Demons at bay. Honestly, I feel this ship and crew will not get past any post incident inquest, they are waiting to pin something down."

His hands where trembling now in his lap, Steady Esel Steady

"The cost you need to weigh up, is whether saving an entire species for good or for ill, knowing that as a species they will never know what you did or how you were involved, worth your life and career within Star Fleet?"

He stood up abruptly, and started to pace, trying to control his rising emotions. 

"I mean I hope I am wrong, but a lifetime of Military service can Jade a person when it comes to the unseen manichaions of those who weild the power above, and of course saving life is a most noble goal for any Sentiant race, its a long hard journey to the stars, why should we then spend that time fighting instead of exploring and learning, thats why I transfered to Star Fleet but to see that sundered and cast aside just because some high rank suit at the blunt end, wants to dilly over some black and white text and make examples of those who serve at the multi faceted, non liner end, who are just trying to to keep things 'right' for everyone."

Spinning around Esel suddenly slams his open palms onto the table top in frustration.

"But .....I also understand the need for rules, guidlines, protacols and those to enforce such within the system to prevent rogue strands from upsetting that balance, life is frail and delicate you just cant go messing and interfering as you see fit. All actions need to be delibrate, considered and transparant."

He returned to his seat opposite the COO, and let out a slow breath, reaching across the table for a napkin he slowly wiped up the spilled drinks.

"Apologies for upsetting your breakfast Lieutenant, I get agitated when those who where not there, inform you of what you should have done while you where there living it."



Posted on 2021-05-12 at 06:10:55.
Edited on 2021-05-12 at 06:14:50 by Alverstar

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 158/11
4402 Posts




Stardate 2365.05.16 (Sunday) - Impact minus 55:36

USS Peregrine, Deck 3, Mess Hall - 09:57

"The moment the Captain made the decision to involve us into the plight of Calican II we plunged headfirst off the lofty cliff of 'No Interference'." Esel replied calmly. "There is no getting away from that, no matter the justification. Should we be successful in this venture and manage to prevent the natural extinction of the populace of Calican II you are quite correct in that their species will evolve differently on many, many levels, there is no way to avoid that in this situation, because the fact is, it shouldn't survive or evolve, as the comet should make their species extinct."

The CSO pauses and draws in a breath. Ander cants his head to the left a little at the apparent growing agitation. He has read that Andorians are prone to show anger as their predominant emotion, but he's had little opportunity to test that knowledge. For a moment, his mind wanders into territory that would require him to step outside of his comfort zone and get physical with the science officer. Blinking the pervasive thoughts away, he refocuses on what the other officer is saying. 

"There is no magic science wand that can be waved to make things right," Esel states, "to justify the why, and to prevent objects being acted on by an outside force, only personnal belief and justification in doing the right thing."

He pauses and Ander deposits another bite of egg into his mouth.

"As for the Captain," the CSO forces out, "we shall have to see. I don't know about you, but this is all to neat for me. This ship and crew undergo a horrific ordeal, but just happened to be refitted and staffed and the first mission they are sent on just happens to be in a system with a life ending comet roaring through it. I mean if the Calicans know it's coming then Star Fleet must have known about this long before that, with the mining operations going on in this system and all the shipping, that comet must have affected it all in some form as it entered. This is a test of the Captain, I imagine there is a group of Officials sat near buy watching this play out to see if he/ we are capable of maintaining the PD or are we going to break it once and possible be prone to dive into every situation we find breaking the PD to keep the Demons at bay. Honestly, I feel this ship and crew will not get past any post incident inquest, they are waiting to pin something down."

The Andorian is obviously agitated and Ander can understand why. As this is his first post under the pips on his collar, he's unsure of what to expect and the thoughts that have now been shared with him haven't crossed his mind at all. 

"The cost you need to weigh up," Esel continues, "is whether saving an entire species for good or for ill, knowing that as a species they will never know what you did or how you were involved, worth your life and career within Star Fleet?"

He stands up abruptly and starts to pace his rising emotions very apparent to any who are about, certainly to the COO who sits back in his chair, fork still in hand, and watches for the pending explosion with raised eyebrows and slightly widened eyes. 

"I mean I hope I am wrong," came the scientist's continued thoughts, "but a lifetime of Military service can jade a person when it comes to the unseen manichaions of those who weild the power above, and of course saving life is a most noble goal for any sentient race, its a long hard journey to the stars, why should we then spend that time fighting instead of exploring and learning, thats why I transfered to Star Fleet but to see that sundered and cast aside just because some high rank suit at the blunt end, wants to dilly over some black and white text and make examples of those who serve at the multi faceted, non-linear end, who are just trying to to keep things 'right' for everyone."

Spinning around Esel suddenly slams his open palms onto the tabletop in frustration causing the superior officer to start in his seat and drop the fork on his plate. Clenching his now empty hand into a fist, Ander does his best to regain his exterior composure while glancing around the room to gauge the reactions of any others who are present.

"But," Esel begins to talk himself down, "I also understand the need for rules, guidlines, protacols and those to enforce such within the system to prevent rogue strands from upsetting that balance, life is frail and delicate you just cant go messing and interfering as you see fit. All actions need to be delibrate, considered and transparant."

The Andorian returns to his seat opposite the COO, and lets out a slow breath. Reaching across the table for a napkin he slowly wipes up the spilled drinks.

"Apologies for upsetting your breakfast Lieutenant," he offers. "I get agitated when those who where not there, inform you of what you should have done while you where there living it."

Ander's lips form a pinched point and he realizes that his eyebrows are still elevated. Relaxing his face, the Chief Operations Officer shifts in his chair and retrieves his fork. "Well, I can't say that I blame you. If you feel so strongly about these orders, Esel, maybe you should schedule a meeting with the Captain. Needless to say, he's an astute man or he wouldn't have survived in the position he's in for as long as he has. He's going to catch on."



Posted on 2021-06-09 at 19:10:27.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.




Page loaded in 0.056376 seconds