The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4063 registered users. Our newest member is Hammeyaneggs.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Return to Charadun - Q&A (posted by Odyson)Return to Charadun - Q&A
Gaming surveys - What game do you own the most books for... (posted by Eol Fefalas)What game do you own the
Posting Games - The Morphing Game (posted by Chessicfayth)The Morphing Game
Posting Games - The One Word Game (posted by TannTalas)The One Word Game
Recruitment Threads - Return to Charadun - Recruitment (posted by Eol Fefalas)Return to Charadun - Recr
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 4 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Blacktooth Ridge
Related thread: Blacktooth Ridge Q&A
    Messages in Blacktooth Ridge
RDI T-shirts!

Neutral Good Mens
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 55/6
3140 Posts


Attack!

 

When the presumed bandits came out of the wood around the cart and demanded that they halt the group moved, slowly, into action.  D’Harum seemed to take the lead, stepping up to the head of the horse and declaring herself a monk of Helm while turning a demand for identification of the strangers.  While the others turned their attention to the monk the party used the opportunity to move up.  Those in back were still under Uthal’s Pass Without a Trace spell and they crept up on the back set of archers.  As far as they could tell, they remained unnoticed. 

               Soledad was the one who would trigger the action.  After moving up 30’ she targeted a Stinking Cloud spell just a bit over 20’ in front of the horse and cart.  Suddenly a billowing cloud of stinking, nauseating, yellow fumes burst forth.  The man in the middle of the road, the two archers behind him, and the man who had been speaking from atop the rock were all caught in its grip.  Because of the putrid, yellow cloud you couldn’t see what impact it had on those within, but even at a distance the sound of retching was audible.  At least a couple of those within seemed unhappy with the contents of their stomachs.  But the exact results were unknown. 

               Seeing the cloud appear and knowing the fight was on Uthal cast and flung an ice knife at the back archer on the left.  (Those in front of the cart are too far away and not visible.  The lady by the cart would require hitting your horse and D’Harum when the blade shatters, so a back archer is the logical choice based on your description.)  The blade struck the man (human) through his studded leather armor and then exploded sending bits of sharp ice around him.  Nobody else was within range to be hit by the ice, but man seemed in a lot of pain afterwards.  (-4hp on the initial hit, -10 for the exploding dagger for -14 total.) 

               Thaoran, also seeing action all around him also lined up his shot at the bandit archer in back on the left.  He was disgusted to see his first shot fly wildly astray as he hurried the shot.  (Natural 1 on the roll, you might have hit a random squirrel!)  But a deep, calming breath before his second shot planed the arrow right in the middle of the bandits chest  (-8hp)  Even as the man reached to pluck some ice from his wounds he suddenly toppled back into the woods, dead.  The other archer in back looked towards the group in back with wide eyes. 

               D’Harum, her comments made saw the group attack and launched into attack mode.  She spun around the front of the cart horse (narrowly missing the gas) and swung her staff at the woman holding the horses bridle.  Her staff tuck with a solid thunk.  (-8hp)  spinning quickly she struck again with her staff but the woman was able to dodge the blow, just barely.  But not yet done, the monk then kicked out with her foot and caught the woman in the thigh (-7hp) for a staggering blow.  She might have gone down (injured, not dead) from the below but managed to keep her grip on the horse’s bridle and used it to keep her feet.  (Monks get 2 attacks plus an unarmed attack each round.  No ki point usage was indicated.) 

               Gerdar and Fenris grabbed their weapons and prepared to enter the fray.

 

Overview of the situation

The battle has commenced and the strangers will get a chance to respond this next turn.  Also, one of the awkward things about play-by-post is that you have to tell me what you want to do for the round before finding out what those with a higher initiative roll have done for the turn.  With this in mind I want to remind you about the held action.  This means that you describe a potential event and say “if x happens, I will do Y.”  For example, with part of the enemy now hidden behind a stinking cloud Gerdar might say, “If someone appears out of the cloud, I will attack them.”  In that case, if someone appears – he attacks.  If nobody does, he does nothing.  Also, most (All?  Gotta check) of you now have two attacks per round.  You can make them on different targets if you wish.  The more specific you are the more closely I can follow your wishes.

 

Right now the situation looks a follows:

In the cloud – 4 figures.  ½ orc in the road, the speaker and two forward archers.

D’harum and the injured woman by the horse.

Gerdar by the cart

Fenris in the cart

50’ back of the cart – one archer on the right side of the road.  (Other dead)

20’ back of the archer – Uthal, Soledad and Thaoran.



Posted on 2023-05-13 at 13:25:04.

Altaira
Resident
Karma: 24/0
404 Posts




D’Harum seemed at ease as she waited for a response from the arrogant leader, though inside she was posed to spring.   Whether she would get a response or not, she wouldn’t know as her traveling companions sprang into action.  She only hoped her words did at least offer some distraction for their adversaries.

At once she sprang into action, maintaining her grip on the other side of the reins, she ducked quickly under the cart horse’s head, she came up swinging her staff at the woman standing on the other side.  her staff struck true the first time but the return stroke only grazed the woman’s clothing, she finished up with a sweep to her opponents legs, striking her thigh.  The woman stumbled but didn’t go down thanks to her own grip on the horse’s reins.

D’Harum would settle that in short order; keeping her grip on the horse’s reins, she brought her staff in a hard upstroke towards the woman hoping to take her out quickly.  While attacking with her staff, she tugged on the reins to keep the horse under control so it wouldn’t wander into the dangerous cloud of gas.  

(She will attack the woman with her normal full attacks until she is down unless she is attacked by someone else.  If any arrows come her way, she will defend herself with her ‘deflect missiles’, but her main focus is the woman.) 



Posted on 2023-05-16 at 19:15:40.

WhomstHasSummonedTom
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/0
172 Posts




"Don't kill them if ye don't have to!", Gerdar shouted to the group, then turned towards the bandits, holding his axe to the side:

"Aight me lads and lasses, I'massuming  ye dinnae like the monsters that roam these lands nowadays aye? I'm 'ere to solve that issue - me axe is called Gobber Chopper fer a reason. Would ye really bicker with a man who could make yer homeland safer?"

 

 

(I would like to persuade.)



Posted on 2023-05-18 at 08:02:58.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1427 Posts


why don't you just go to sleep...

Beneath the cover of her ally's spell, Soledad drew primal power up through the land. Intoning a wordless incantation the witch spun the threads of all that lay hidden beneath the dirt–rotting plants and bodies, excrement and stagnation, remnants of venom–into a horrendous curse. Uttering a final note, she snapped her golden fingers and a putrescent yellow cloud of noxious fumes swallowed the lead bandits. Although they were obscured by the billowing fumes, the sounds of wretching were clearly audible bringing a cruel smile to the witch's lips.

Not waiting for a response, Soledad summoned another spell. This time she drew upon the ancient fey magic that ran through her veins to lay a web of slumber upon the two nearest archers.

 

((OOC: Back post for the Stinking Cloud. This round she cast Sleep using a level 2 slot to target the archers at the back of the caravan.))



Posted on 2023-05-20 at 07:03:45.

Jim
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
111 Posts




Uthal starts a run toward the last remaining archer. He moves quicker than usual as his body transforms. His feet meld into large claw like talons, and his face protrudes, elongated with ferocious, sharp teeth visible as he snarls as he shape-shifts into a polar claw foot raptor. Thick, snow-white feathers cover its body. He sprints past the archer (like a large ostrich), stopping 35’ back from the cart. He snorts and snarls aggressively, shaking his head back and forth while his eyes dart around as if searching for prey.

Ooc: counting on your sleep spell, Soledad.



Posted on 2023-05-23 at 01:38:06.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 55/6
3140 Posts


It was Going so Well, Ouch!, Hey, where'd everybody go?

When the group launched their sudden assault on the presumed bandits it was obvious that the strangers were not used to people fighting back.  The young woman holding the horse and being battered by D’Harum stayed on her feet thanks to her grip on the horse’s bridle.  Getting her bearings, she quickly let go of the horse and moved 30’ backwards into the woods, being careful to avoid Soledad’s Stinking Cloud.  (Disengage as an action so no attack but also not provoking an attack of opportunity.) 

               D’Harum seeing her foe retreat wasted no time following after.  The monk quickly moved through the trees and caught her fleeing foe.  One solid smack on the back sent the woman sprawling on the ground – unconscious.  Quickly looking around she saw another archer in the woods about 15’ away from her, previously unseen in the woods.  She prepared to defend herself if needed.

               Uthal, meanwhile, transformed into a Polar Raptor (Imagine a raptor dinosaur but suited to the cold areas that were Uthal’s home.) and ran towards the action up front passing the last archer in the rear with a snarl.

               Towards the back of the group one archer still stood.  Surprised by the large white raptor sprinting past him he nevertheless spun, spotted Soledad (Despite the Pass Without a Trace spell, making an attack such as casting a spell does make you much more notable.) and fired an arrow.  It struck its target but a quick dodge to the side at the last moment saved the elf from significant damage.  (-3hp but made the concentration save to keep Stinking Cloud.)  But she did not look pleased.  Perhaps it was the look on Soledad’s face that made the archer turn and move quickly 30’ away into the woods.

               Indeed the witch was not pleased and looked after the fleeing archer and cast sleep.  Even from a distance it was not hard to see the archer fall to the ground, presumably asleep.                

               Thaoran, seeing the opponents at the back fall, moved forward on the heels of the snow white rapter.

               In the woods not far from the Stinking Cloud another bandit with a bow stared at D’Harum where she stood over the body of the unconscious woman.  He pulled back the string of his bow and fired a shot at the monk.  The arrow shot true and would have struck the monk in the chest but such a thing is not easy to do to a monk.  With a flick of her hand she knocked the arrow aside a moment before it would have skewered her.  Her look of calm seemed to unnerve the archer as he turned and moved deeper 30’ into the woods. 

               Suddenly out of the woods near the front of the party a bright streak flashes out of the wood and hits the road about ½ way between the Uthal-Raptor and the cart.  When it hit it burst into a giant ball of flame that expanded into a 40’ diameter blast – catching Uthal, Fenris, Gerdar and much of the cart (but not the horse) in its blast.  (Fireball spell.  -34 HP each, but all three (!) made their saves and only took -17hp. Uthal has 2 Raptor HP left.)  The cart itself was damaged and was in danger of catching fire.  Some of the undergrowth to the side of the road was burning.   All three victims of the blast tracked the spell backwards and saw the spell-caster 15’ back in the woods.  He turned and moved away quickly.  Fenris sent a firebolt chasing after him, but he was quickly concealed by the woods and the bolt smashed into the undergrowth harmlessly. 

               Gerdar stepped through the blast of the fireball and called out to all those around them.  "Aight me lads and lasses, I'massuming  ye dinnae like the monsters that roam these lands nowadays aye? I'm 'ere to solve that issue - me axe is called Gobber Chopper fer a reason. Would ye really bicker with a man who could make yer homeland safer?"   It was hard to tell if the bandits listened as those they were either fleeing or concealed by the Stinking Cloud.

               Of those in the Stinking Cloud it was impossible to tell exactly what was happening.  The sound of a painful retching could be heard, but how many of them were impacted it was impossible to know. 

 

Overview

(Map Coming)

There is no enemy currently engaged in combat that you can see.

Towards the front both the spell caster and archer that shot at D’Harum have moved away into the woods.  Neither can be seen but you have a sense of about where they are.  The woods are pretty thick.

There is a sleeping archer 30’ into the woods at the back and another unconscious woman at D’Harum’s feet. 

When you cast the Stinking Cloud 4 people (The speaker, the ½ orc in the middle of the road, and 2 archers behind him) were in its are of effect.  You can hear puking from probably at least 2 sources within, but it is impossible to know exactly what is happening.

 D’Harum is the only party member not currently on the road.



Posted on 2023-05-28 at 14:57:33.
Edited on 2023-05-28 at 14:59:06 by Nomad D2

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 55/6
3140 Posts


Map of the Battle

Bandit Battle 1

The road is about 15' wide.  

On both sides of the road there is dense forest - at the bottom of the map it is a short distance to the river.

The locations noted in the Stinking Cloud are where people were when the spell was cast.  Current locations uncertain.

D'Harum is fairly certain on the approximate location of the fleeing archer.  (Archer with an arrow at the top, middle of the map.)

Nobody is sure where the mage is - that is an approximate based on the assumption that he continued moving that direction after being lost behind the foliage.  

Bzzzz to the left is asleep.  Circled U by D'H is the unconscious woman at D'Harum's feet.  

Ask if something is not clear.  



Posted on 2023-05-28 at 15:22:59.

WhomstHasSummonedTom
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/0
172 Posts




"Git singed my beard", Gerdar grunted as he watched the archer and the mage disappear into the forest, "Nobody singes a dwarven beard. If they come back I take back what I said... How long's that cloud gonna be there?"

The paladin moved closer to the stinking cloud, ready to take on those still inside it should the need arise.

 

 

(Get me right next to the cloud but not into it, ready an attack when I can see an enemy that I can reach.)



Posted on 2023-05-31 at 11:30:53.

Altaira
Resident
Karma: 24/0
404 Posts


Prisoner

D’Harum stood over the body of the woman she had pursued  into the woods.  Knocking the woman down, and apparently unconscious, she looked up and saw an archer drawing his bow upon her.  

 

Taking her defensive stance and concentrating on the bow and arrow, she slowed her heart and narrowed her focus upon the arrow.  The ‘thrum’ of the bow, and time seemed to slow for her, the arrow speeding towards her heart. Her hand whipped out and slapped the arrow just inches from her chest, sending it harmlessly to the ground.  

 

She gave the archer a calm and peaceful expression, tilting her head slightly to the side.  The archer’s eyes widened and he turned and fled quickly into the woods rather than fire another bolt.  

 

The monk glanced around quickly for other threats, seeing none (if there are dangers, her actions could change), she turned back to the unconscious woman at her feet.  Hearing sounds of shouts and combat, she knew here companions were busily engaged with opponents of their own.  

 

Looking down at the woman, she knelt over the woman, planting her knee in the woman’s back, and quickly removed one of her cloth wraps from her forearms, and bound the woman’s hands behind her back, and then quickly bound her feet as well.  

 

(OOC: She will bind this prisoner, keeping alert for any noises or sight of enemy coming into the area where she is currently.  If someone emerges, like the archer, she will forgo binding the woman, and take up her staff and enter a defensive stance once again, ready to defend herself.)



Posted on 2023-06-02 at 18:21:13.
Edited on 2023-06-02 at 18:23:44 by Altaira

Jim
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
111 Posts


Time for a shredding.

The Polar Raptor (Uthal) thrashes a bit from the blast, rises onto its feet and shakes its head. It looks around with darting eyes. It tilts it head and with an ear piercing screech, takes off fast into the woods, chasing after the spell-caster (running towards the last known direction of the spell-caster).

ooc: If Uthal crosses the mage responsible for the fireball, he will attack with a 'claw attack'. If, he reaches his 50' move for this round, he will stop and do a perception check, looking and listening for the mage.



Posted on 2023-06-07 at 19:52:07.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1427 Posts


Why don't you just go to sleep...

Still infuriated over the arrow that had struck her, Soledad hissed in frustration. At the very least her sleeping hex had taken hold over the wretched miscreant that shot her–she hoped dearly that the fool was caught in a nightmare. Much as she would have loved to slit the sleeping archer's throat, there were greater priorities for now. As of yet, a mage and an archer remained. While maintaining the noxious cloud that yet incapacitated the bandits, Soledad stalked toward the fleeing archer, making sure to keep close enough to the cloud to maintain it. Once within striking range, she hurled a second sleeping hex at the archer who yet stood.

((OOC: Cast Sleep at 2nd level slot, will stop at a tree for cover if available))



Posted on 2023-06-10 at 09:24:34.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 55/6
3140 Posts


Hey! Where'd everybody go??

D’Harum and Uthal led the action.  The monk used one of her arm wraps to bind the unconscious woman at her feet.  She made no protest but lay there unconscious.  The monk kept a close eye out for danger but saw none – unless seeing one of her new companions going racing past her in the form of a snow-white raptor qualified.  But that danger didn’t seem to be to her.

               Uthal, the previously mentioned white blur, sped past after the mage.  Raptors are known for their speed for good reason and even injured his long legs gobbled up the distance between him and where he guessed the mage had gone.  As he burst through the foliage he saw the mage ahead of him about 10 feet.  (The raptor moves 50’, but the mage was already about 30’ away to start with and then moved 30’ last turn making it a distance of 60’ – the speedy raptor came up just short.)  The mage was moving quickly away from the conflict when the beast burst from the wood behind him.   Spinning at the noise of the dinosaur’ approach he raised his hand and snapped his fingers and simply disappeared from in front of Uthal.  He was simply gone.  A moment before he had been right there ready to be a tasty morsel and now he was nowhere to be seen. 

               At the back of the party Soledad moved to take care of any more archers that might be in the woods.  (Note:  There was apparently some confusion here as there were no enemies still visible at the back.  There had been two rear archers – one was killed by a Thaoran arrow and the other was put to sleep by the first spell.  So, no enemy archers can be seen.  With no target visible no spell is cast.)   Soledad moved towards the archer who had wounded her and who now slept in the woods.  As she moved into the woods towards her victim she almost stumbled on another one of the bandits.  This one, a middle-aged woman, was slumped on the ground behind a big tree.  A quick look (and the sound of snores) quickly told the witch that her sleep spell had claimed one more victim than she had realized.  At least one concealed enemy had succumbed.  But the sleeping beauty also told another story – there had been more enemies here than they had originally realized.  She used the big tree for cover as she scanned the nearby woods for signs of other previously hidden dangers.  For now, at least, she saw none. 

               Back at the front of the party Gerdar was angered by the fireball and was ready to take it out on anyone that emerged from the stinking cloud.  Thaoran also approached the cloud and stood ready with his rapier if anyone emerged.  Meanwhile Fenris started beating out the flames that had started to get ahold of the wagon after the fiery blast.  Knowing the others were focused on the cloud Fenris kept his eyes on the woods as he worked.  Near the stinking cloud Gerdar finished his challenge to his enemies and listened to the sounds of puking and retching coming from within.  It was almost enough to make him chuckle.  But as he grinned a bit at the intestinal difficulties of his enemies, he realized that the sounds had gotten quieter.  It was hard to be certain, but the dwarf was pretty sure that there were no longer as many people losing their lunches in the haze.

 

Overview

Soledad – alone at the back with two sleeping archers.  No visible dangers.

D’Harum – alone with bound woman.  No visible dangers.

Uthal – 50’ into the woods.  No visible dangers.  The mage disappeared.

Gerdar, Thaoran, Fenris – by the stinking cloud.  At least one person is still puking.  But probably (?) fewer than before.  But you can’t see through the cloud.



Posted on 2023-06-12 at 16:40:47.

Jim
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
111 Posts




Uthal, as the raptor, stops when the mage disappears and looks around confused. After a pause, it shakes it head back and forth and he returns to his former self, the Goliath Druid, before making his way back to the stink cloud near the wagon.



Posted on 2023-06-26 at 03:32:20.

Altaira
Resident
Karma: 24/0
404 Posts




With the woman bound tightly, D’Harum stood up with her staff in hand.  The monk looked about and only saw a strange white creature run by in pursuit of something other than her. She did a double take, then shook her head at the strangeness of it all.   Listening for sounds of battle for a few seconds, she kept her eyes roaming the area for the bandits.  If she sees no one, she will yell out, “What’s the situation?”   

Awaiting a response, she kept an eye out for attackers.  If she sees any of the bandits, she will pursue or defend as needed.

 

(OOC: Short post, as she is isolated in the woods, and doesnt know what others are doing, as there are few posts to play off of at the moment. She'll keep and eye on her prisoner and play defense.)



Posted on 2023-06-26 at 16:53:15.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 55/6
3140 Posts


Stink, stink, go away

The group looked around the woods and there were no more enemies to be seen.  At least at first glance.  Two were at their feet unconscious, several lay dead, and four were likely still inside the stinking cloud hovering over the road.  

D'Harum had the one at her feet already tied up.  Quickly the group secured the other archer.  In the meantime Gerdar, Fenris and Thaoran all kept an eye on the cloud.  When everyone was tied up the group assembled quickly in front of the cloud and Soledad prepared to drop her spell.  (It would only last a minute in total anyway.)  Everyone was ready to deal with those inside when the spell disappeared.  

*poof* 

As quickly as the smelly cloud had appeared it disappeared revealing the road as it continued around a bend through the woods.  And that was it.  There was nobody on the road.  The four bandits that were there when the spell was cast were gone.  

The party now stands on the road in silence.  Two bandits were their prisoners.  Half a dozen or so had fled the scene - they probably had a head start of 30 seconds or so.  Maybe a bit more.  

Note

With a Stinking Cloud spell on every turn anyone caught in the spell makes a constitution check to see if they can stop puking and take an action.  Obviously at some point all of those in the cloud made their save and presumably fled out the back side of the cloud where you could not see them.  



Posted on 2023-07-04 at 12:52:21.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.




Page loaded in 0.094367 seconds