The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4048 registered users. Our newest member is 20165.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Blacktooth Ridge Q&A (posted by WhomstHasSummonedTom)Blacktooth Ridge Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by WhomstHasSummonedTom)Blacktooth Ridge
Q&A Threads - Fire and Shadow (Name May Change) (posted by WhomstHasSummonedTom)Fire & Shadow Q&A
Posting Games - Last one to post wins - Part II (posted by Odyson)LOTPWII
Fantasy RPGs - Fire & Shadow RPG (posted by WhomstHasSummonedTom)Fire & Shadow RPG
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Blacktooth Ridge
Related thread: Blacktooth Ridge Q&A
    Messages in Blacktooth Ridge
RDI T-shirts!

Geekier Kid
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1398 Posts


Would you like to keep your eyes?

Soledad hissed an elvish curse. She had run out of patience with the wretched vermin. Quickly scanning the goblin horde, the golden witch spotted a small blade. Far better to use one of the miscreants own weapons than dirty her own with their stinky blood. Spitting a word of power she snapped her fingers and the dagger floated into the air as if come to life. With another gesture she guided the blade to float, point first, barely a fingertip width away from the eye of the ugliest of the two goblins. 

Soledad smiled with viscious cruelty as she spat out the goblin tongue, "You may not fear death, but there is much we can do before we end you. I for one think removing one of your legs would be a vast improvement. Now, I have questions. You will answer them, politely, or you'll loose this eye. Then you'll loose the next. And so on. Do your insipid twit brains understand that? Good. Now, who leads you? Who sent you to Botkinburg? Where is the Red Cap camp? Start talking, and remember, I expect truthful and polite answers"

((OOC: Mage Hand))



Posted on 2020-10-23 at 15:24:06.
Edited on 2020-10-23 at 15:24:59 by Nimu

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 93/24
4361 Posts


Let the Witch Proceed

Dok was as patient as he could be, as the Hill Dwarf Cleric fielded questions from Hornet and Thaoran to translate in Goblinese, as he questioned the two captive Goblins, refraining himself from slitting their throats and collecting their right ears to add to his collection.

In fact, the desire to slit their throats was growing more and more with each response to his questions, so much so that Dok could feel his desire to execute his hated enemies mounting almost beyond his control, but he was able to keep his impulse in check for the moment.

Dok just wanted to dispose of the Goblins, so that he and the rest of the party could press on further into the Blacktooth Ridge.

The Hill Dwarf Cleric was about to slice the throat of one of the Goblins, when Soledad stepped forward to question the captive Goblins.

Dok was glad to let the Witch proceed with the questioning, but he stood ready to slice throats and collect right ears, as he did not plan to allow these Goblins to live to see the light of another day.



Posted on 2020-10-23 at 23:04:59.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 59/18
2580 Posts




  From his vantage point behind a clump of bushes, Hornet kept watch and listened as the others took turns questioning the goblins.  It took the usual form where both sides made threats but he knew in the end the one holding the knife always beats the one bound by rope.  



Posted on 2020-10-31 at 16:10:28.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
312 Posts


A possible meeting ?

Luna was awakened from his light sleep by the sound of fighting coming from across the river from where he made camp rolling out of his sleeping bag he gathers his belonging not in any real hurry with the noise still going on he figures he will get there in time. He slowly starts to make his way towards where the racket was coming from but moving very quitely for he has no idea what is transpiring up ahead and prefers to not make himself a target. Before he finds what is happening the racket seems to settle down but he can still hear some load voices coming from up ahead, moving as silently as he can he comes to a bridge that crosses the river. Not wanting to expose himself to any one at least untill he knows what is happening he uses his wild shape to transform into a small cat and then proceeds to scanper across the bridge,then keeping to any cover he can find which is not to hard given his now small size he makes his way as close to the party he can now see, but he wants to hear what is transpiring so he makes his way toward the group and once he can hear he hunkers down in a nice clump of weeds.
 
 
 Intriged by the sight of several dead goblins and two being held captive  it seems this party had somewhat the same idea about goblins as he did, but Luna never to take anything for granted mostly because he has spent so much time either alone or with his mentor and the other druids in his circle, he has a inbreed distrust of many other races and classes, not that he hasn't traveled with others before he has, as well as led many a party through the deep dark forests of his homeland, but he never made rash judgements when it comes to disclosing himself to others.
 
 
 He listens intently as the group interagates the now captive goblins Some of what he hears he doesn't understand  it seems some of them are asking questions that relate to them personaly, but he becomes quite intriged when they start asking about the Red Caps and one of the goblins becomes quite defient talking about this group of goblins that call themselves Red Caps and how this party should be in fear of them.He listens very interested however before he makes any decision on what to do next he is going to wait and see how this group deals with the stinking goblins they now hold captive.

 



Posted on 2020-11-01 at 11:27:02.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 51/6
2982 Posts


Continued Defiance

Soledad took over the questioning as the rest of the group stood around ready to torture their captives.  With her dagger floating in front of the eye of one of the prisoners she demanded to know about the leadership and location of the Red Caps.  The goblins eyes crossed as he tried to focus on the dagger but he quickly regained his sneer.  “Rottenkip!  Rottenkip leads the Caps on the Ridge!  You will fear that name!  Kip and the Caps!”  He looked again along the dagger hovering in front of his left eye and grinned.  “You threaten a Cap and Rottenkip will come for you.  He rules the Ridge.  He takes whoever he wants from little Burg!  He will hunt you.  Run now and beg mercy!”

Soledad didn’t seem as impressed by the goblin’s threats as the creature seemed to hope.  Holding the dagger in its position she repeated her question about the goblins lair.  The goblin looked like it wanted to spit at her, but the dagger in front of its eye made any forward movement dangerous. Instead it continued its attempt at intimidation.  “You won’t find it!  Caps find you!  Caves and old ruins everywhere on Ridge!  Which one Caps in?  Never know till Caps come down on you!  Caps crush little elves and tin man!  Rottenkip hunt elves!”   The other goblin, not faced with a dagger less than an inch from his eye put emphasis to their disgust with elves by spitting at Steel, who stood nearby. 

 The goblins continued to be defiant, apparently convinced that a show of strength was likely to be more helpful than whimpering and begging.  The goblin’s defiance was emphasized as thunder slowly rolled across the Ridge.  It was around 3 in the morning and rain was coming.  It didn’t look to be a major storm, but things were going to get wet. 



Posted on 2020-11-01 at 15:05:16.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 51/6
2982 Posts


A little Twist

As the thunder began to roll in the sky above them and the goblins continued their defiance Hornet's eyes were quickly caught by motion up the road.  At the uphill bend around which the goblin's had arrived not long before several figures had come into view.  The lead figure dominated the view - a large and well armored dragonborn stepped forward.  He did not seem at all surprised to see the group in the middle of the road (the party), but then Hornet recognized that a loud battle and interogation has hardly kept their position secret.  Peeking around the corner and out from behind the large figure were three others - at a distance if he had to guess it was two humans and an elf, only one of them armed. 

Hornet whistled quickly to the rest of the group and indicated the new arrivals, but stayed hidden in the bushes.  The group all stood and turned up the road, the goblins temporarily ignored.  The Dragonborn strode forward with his hands, empty of weapons, held palm up in front of him. In common he called out, "Hail and well met!  I was tracking these same goblins.  You have saved me the task of killing them myself!  May we approach?"



Posted on 2020-11-03 at 21:33:05.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
312 Posts


Goblin Bravery?

Luna watched as the tense little drama unfolded in front of him it was obvious that the party that held the two goblins captive had the upper hand and could kill the two at any time, and yet the two goblins continued to be defient the one that had a dagger hovering just in front of his eye sneered at the tiefling who Luna belives was resposable for the dagger and yells “Rottenkip! Rottenkip leads the Caps on the Ridge! You will fear that name! Kip and the Caps!”
“You threaten a Cap and Rottenkip will come for you. He rules the Ridge. He takes whoever he wants from little Burg! He will hunt you. Run now and beg mercy!”

Luna has had many encounters with Goblins and he held no love for the filthy stinky beasts but never can he recall goblins being so, well he could not think of any other way to put it but acting "brave" they normally where little cowards turning on each other to save their own skin these goblins where an anomoly to Luna. He thinks to himself this band of goblins that this one seems to keep talking about this "Rottenkip and the caps" could be the evil that he had caught rumors about from a band of travelers he had led.What they had said was very vauge but pointed to an evil possably returning to the Ridge, and what had sent Luna on this trek from his southern lands towards the Ridge.

With his curiosty now peaked he listens even more intently the Tiefling repeats her question she demanded to know about the leadership and location of the Red Caps.The goblin continues his defience “You won’t find it! Caps find you! Caves and old ruins everywhere on Ridge! Which one Caps in? Never know till Caps come down on you! Caps crush little elves and tin man! Rottenkip hunt elves!” as he spat out his threats the other goblin as if to put an exclamation point on his partners words spits at the creature Luna thinks the goblin was refering to when he said "Caps crush little elves and tin man"! Luna is pretty sure he has never met suce a man as they where refering to, even though it was dark he was pretty sure the man seemed to be made of metal.

This however was not what Luna had came over here to check on the metal man was obviously with the party that had killed the goblins and was questioning these two.HE looked around himself trying to make out how many there where in this party he could see four the tiefling, the tin man, there was a dwarf who was also near the two prisnors and he could see a elf slightly farther back but throwing questions at the goblins.He could also see several clumps of bushes around

( OCC: took a little leway from keepers post "From his vantage point behind a clump of bushes",let me know if Im out of line) as well as the stone structure that was on the switchback.

It was fairly dark with the storm that was coming and he was pretty small and dark himself so he deciedes to make a move to a spot he can see that would put him closer to the captives and the four people he can see.

( OCC: again i am a little unclear about the terrian in my immediate area i said i am hiding in a clump of weeds now i would like to move if possable to a spot that would put me behind Steel and Dok that i think are facing the goblins but i not sure where that would put me or if even a possable move but if you determine there is a spot i could move to that will put me closer to the goblins and Steel and Dok I would like to attempt the move I would use my stealth skill and mask of the wild he really doesnt want to be noticed yet i sure you can make the rolls and let me know if i make it or if not or if not even possable thanks Nomad)

And so as the druid waits either hunkered down where he was listening or a little closer there is a very unexpected occurance as a Dragonborn along with a couple compaions comes marching down the road from up on the switcback calling down to the party and asking to be allowed to approach. This party was just getting bigger and more bazaar all the time Luna will stay as he watches the new drama unfold.



Posted on 2020-11-03 at 21:37:09.
Edited on 2020-11-03 at 23:19:34 by Dragonmist

CameToPlay
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 19/2
193 Posts


Glimmer in the Dark

The trek following these goblins had been an ardous one, hampered by the need to douse their torches and rely solely on Armand's darkvision. Constantine was not thrilled to have so little to do save wander after his butler, but the least he could do was keep his battleaxe at the ready and his nerves in check. He had an example to set with young John, and that would not be one of impatience and a quick temper.

Perhaps a turn of fortune or mishap it was, but the sounds of battle drew Constantine's attention. He adjusted his grip on his battleaxe, striding to the head of the group to halt Armand. They crept quieter, mindful of the squelching mud, and strained to see in the dim light. The ridged scales above Constantine's eyes drew downwards at the sight of humanoids thoroughly battering a group of goblins - the same ones he had been tracking, he was sure - and he signalled to his retainers to gather behind him. If this group was a danger to his men, Constantine needed to assess.

Though it seemed no reason to be alarmed, as the group was preoccupied with loud threats and flashy displays of magic at the goblins. Their line of questions intrigued Constantine. More adventurers after the goblins? Perhaps they could be of a friendly nature.

Constantine spoke amongst his retainers for a moment, ordering them to stay back and behind him in case this went awry, before securing his battleaxe in its sheath, and walking down the hill towards the group.

"Hail and well met!" he yelled across the way, doing his best to appear friendly. "I was tracking these same goblins. You have saved me the task of killing them myself! May we approach?"



Posted on 2020-11-09 at 16:31:08.

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 93/24
4361 Posts


When Least Expecting It

Dok quickly assessed the situation and slowly returned behind the Goblin that he had been threatening before. At least the newcomers were on the same page of killing Goblins as Dok was.

When least expecting it, Dok slipped up behind the Goblin and swiftly slit its throat from ear to menacing ear, then glared at the remaining Goblin, before going about his business of collecting another right ear to add to his collection.

EDIT

So Apparently Soledad stuck the other Goblin in the eye so Dok dispatches both of them and collects their right ears



Posted on 2020-11-09 at 22:33:55.
Edited on 2020-11-21 at 23:33:44 by Hammer

dragon-soul92
RDI Fixture
Karma: 16/1
788 Posts


Here Be Dragons

Thäoran was just starting to make his way over to Dok to assist him with the grisly task of dispatching the remaining goblins when his sharp elf ears picked up the sound of gravel crunching under multiple pairs of boots. Alert and wary, Thäoran spun sharply around, hand instinctively grasping the hilt of his rapier. His emerald cat-like eyes fixed on the newcomers and his brows rose in surprise at the sight he beheld. A small group of dragonborn were making their cautious way towards him and his companions. He was not well versed in their kind, so his own caution did not dissipate, nor did his hand stray from his blade. The lead dragonborn raised his hands in what appeared to be a submissive gesture and claimed they meant Thäoran's group no harm. Should he trust them? Again, he knew little of their race so he decided he could not take their words at face value. No. Their actions would be what would make him decide wether they mean good or ill. Narrowing his eyes suspiciously and tightening his grip on his rapier's hilt, he warily closed a few feet between himself and the dragonborn.
'Halt!' The elf called, though he was careful not to raise his voice too much, lest any stray goblins were wandering about nearby. 'Who goes there? And what business do you have with these goblins?' His eyes never left the lead dragonborn as he awaited his answer.


Posted on 2020-11-11 at 22:14:56.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
312 Posts


A friendly greeting sort of

   From the spot where the little cat watched and listened to what was happening around these goblins now not only the party that had dispached a good few of the filthy creatures and where questioning two captives and new group appears suddenly from up the switchback making their way towards the party with the goblins.

  The lead figure a dragonborn calls down to the party " Hail and well met!  I was tracking these same goblins.  You have saved me the task of killing them myself!  May we approach?"

  Two things seem to happen close togeather the dwarf near the goblins slides up behind the one and quickly slits it's throat Then the one elf who had been asking questions in response to the approaching party and their call to them by telling them to "Halt" while gripping his  rapier now not sure of what is going to transpire next he feels a little to close he will look around and if possable try to move over to where the stone building is up next to it.

 (OCC using my stealth skill and mask of the wild )



Posted on 2020-11-12 at 12:45:26.
Edited on 2020-11-12 at 12:48:31 by Dragonmist

CameToPlay
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 19/2
193 Posts


Civil Hostilities

Constantine sighed. Adventurers were a wary type by trade and should be no less when it was nearing a thunderstorm at night just after a fight, but truly, was hostility necessary? It seemed so according to the elven male brandishing a threatening glare at him. It was times like this that made Constantine miss the court; at least there manners were paramount in public. The dragonborn looked to his servants and squire, giving Armand a pointed look of Here we go again before regarding the elf.

"My name is Sir Constantine of House Dumont," Constantine divulged. "These are my retainers; Armand" - he pointed to the lithe elf in a suit, who gave a stiff nod at the group - "Ludovic" - the dark-skinned human with a well-kept beard simply smirked, as always - "and my squire, the honourable John of House Renou" - the young human seemed startled at the sudden attention, to the point his glove caught on his sword hilt and snagged it out of the sheath. Constantine froze at the movement, praying the suspicious elf didn't take it as a threat. "As you can see, he is still in training. It was part of his apprenticeship that led us out here, as well as the bounty on those goblin ears. We've been wandering after them awhile, and as it would seem, you've beat us to the punch."

Assessing the elven man's stance and his companions seeming preoccupation with mutilating goblins, Constantine chanced a step towards the group. Extending a hand in good faith, he said, "Might we close this distance and introduce ourselves properly? I fear the shouting may attract more attention."



Posted on 2020-11-12 at 23:46:04.
Edited on 2020-11-18 at 19:13:37 by CameToPlay

dragon-soul92
RDI Fixture
Karma: 16/1
788 Posts


Apprenticeship on Blacktooth Ridge?

Thäoran's sharp gaze never wavered on the group before him, but he did relax a little. The boy-John was his name, Thäoran noted-didn't seem to be a threat at least if the clumsiness of the apprentice was anything to go by. Why, the squire seemed able to barely handle his sword. Armand and Ludovic, however, he was still wary as they appeared more hardened and experienced in the ways of the world. As for Constantine himself, he was exceptionally cautious as he knew nothing of his kind. Humans and, of course, elves, he had much knowledge, but dragonborn...he had only heard them uttered in stories told around the campfire back home when the elven bards recounted tales of the mysterious creatures. Elves have been known for their exaggeration so Thäoran did not believe much of what was said about Constantine's race, but now he was in the presence of a dragonborn, he was to learn first hand of what his kinsmen said was true.
He was surprised to encounter a fellow elf as-as he had learned back in Botkinburg-elves were an uncommon sight in these parts, so, as wary as he still was, he was nevertheless eager to converse with him.

For now, Thäoran decided to be a little more pleasant and appear to let his guard down. Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves with it. That's if they were untrustworthy.

The elf closed the few feet still separating him from the dragonborn.
'Hail,' he greeted. 'Please forgive my earlier suspicion and my guarded and hostile approach. One can never be too careful in these dark times with enemies lurking behind every rock. My name is Thäoran and I hail from the South. Again, forgive me but I would rather not extend my hand to you at this time. Please understand the reason for my caution.'

The elf gave John a hard look, scrutinising the boy as he asked Constantine,

'These are dangerous lands for a mere squire to be trained in. My apologies but he does not seem ready for what he encounter around here. Though I suppose if he does not experience the dangers first hand, he will never learn. As for-what did you state their names where? ...Ah, yes, Armand and Ludovik. I would know more of how they came to be in your service, if you would care to enlighten us in what is sure to be an interesting tale, for yours is an odd group.' Here, Thäoran chuckled as he thought of what his own group consisted of. 'Yes, I am aware that my companions too are an odd bunch. So, if my friends permit it, you may accompany us as we take shelter from this storm.' The elf's eyes flicked upwards and he beheld the rapidly darkening sky, the clouds rolling in an ominous cloak heavy with much rain, the thunder like the threatening growl of an agitated dragon. 'And shelter we must make soon,' he added. 'What say the rest of you?' He turned to his companions. 'May Constantine and his fellows join us as we make camp?'


Posted on 2020-11-16 at 16:49:55.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 59/18
2580 Posts




    The lone surviving goblin was long gone and there was no sign of reinforcements arriving.  Hornet stood and turned his attention to the group that had appeared and was talking ot his companions.  Slowly he made his way back to the group.  "Seems we have a better class of visitors.  Although I would love to learn more about each of you, it looks like a storm is coming and I'd rather talk under cover than out in the open in driving rain.  Perhaps we can retire to the farmhouse until the storm passes?  Then we can discuss the future."  Hornet started to walk slowly towards the shelter.  



Posted on 2020-11-18 at 12:57:46.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1398 Posts




Soledad maintained her calm visage as the stinky little goblins spewed their bravado. It was clear they had told all they were going to share. It was time to end this.

"Did I not tell you to respond politely?" the elf cooed, dangerously.

A heartbeat passed before the witch slowly guided the dagger into the goblin's eye, magically pushing the blade in to the hilt. With the deed done, she stepped forward to join the conversation between her companions and the new visitors. 

"Agreed, Hornet. Let us continue this conversation and our introductions under the shelter of the farmhouse."



Posted on 2020-11-21 at 10:50:11.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.




Page loaded in 0.077836 seconds