An adventuring party could get lost down here. How long have we been in the caves? If it is less than 8 hours Uthal should still have darkvision courtesy of the spell he cast back at the Post on 2022-08-11 at 23:25:38.
Should we pick a collapse zone or leave this place. Fenris, care to flip again?
You took a long rest inside the caves right before you crossed the water. Since then it was a short water crossing and a quick walk to the stinky room. You did spend some time there and then a bit of time slowly going in circles in the other part. Still, all total, it hasn't even been 2 full hours since you left your long rest. So no problems on the vision.
@DM - should Uthal cast spider climb on himself or prefereably Gerdar, is there any safer way to explore around the crumbly chos? Climb around/above the dangererous parts? Perhaps one or two of us can explore and search for the best option.
Posted on 2022-09-21 at 02:50:31.
Edited on 2022-09-21 at 02:51:54 by Jim
Yeah, this is a tricky one. There is a water source nearby, so I'm wondering if it might help to reinforce the dangerous tunnels with thick ice. Soledad should be able to do that with Shape Water but it might take a minute. A very very long minute. Thoughts?
We need more active posting. I am even trying to give answers quickly when people put in questions so that they can repost and keep it moving. It is almost two weeks since my last major post. I will be posting on Sunday using whatever information I have. No complaints if you haven't been clear.
At the moment the rope bridege proposed by Tann is what is posted so I will go with that later tonight if nothing else gets posted.
Comments about the posts so far:
1. Gerdar would note that pounding in a spike makes noise and shakes rock - it is possible that it would provoke a collapse. Or maybe not. He is a dwarf and would know this.
2. The shape water/ice supports would work except the spell specifically says "an area of water that you can see." So you would have to get water, preumably from the pool room, to whichever X you want to freeze. Then the spell simply freezes the water. You would have to somehow get the water into the position you want it to be in - then freeze it there.
3. Spider climb (Sorry, didn't see this earlier to respond. I jut missed it.) It might work. The problem is that you end up walking on the wall and ceiling. While I would assume a spider doesn't put as much pressure on a surface as a person walking normally would, there would have to be some pressure and hold. Given that the ceiling is the weak part that you are worried about that doesn't seem to you like it would be safer. The walls are stronger but probably no more so than the floor. So based on your best idea in consultation with the dwarf, spider climb probably doesn't help much.
Fenris - It is more of a "snake like thing" than a "worm like thing" but whatever. If you approach and make a melee attack and then retreat it will get an attack of opportunity. You could use cunning action to avoid that, but you are already using it (and thus your bonus action) to hide. I just want to be clear on the rule implications.
Uthal - Nobody on the parties side of the rock fall (meaning all but Fenris) were hurt by the rocks or covered with anything but dust. So you quickly find Gerdar right in front of you. Fenris is on the other side of whatever mess the rock fall made. I just want to be really clear about any actions people are taking here so that I am not assuming anything. In front of you the tunnel has some rubble. You don't know the extent of the blockage because of the dust. It may be passable or it may not - you will have to find out. Doing so, or trying to cross, would mean entering the rock fall area.(Assuming passage is possible, of course.)
If people want to move into the rockfall area to find out how bad it is blocked and if passage is possible please be clear about the following:
1. What you will do if it is blocked.
2. What you will do if it is only partially blocked.
3. If you move forward into the area are you taking any precautions at all? If so, what?
4. How fast are you trying to move? (linked to #3 above.)
5. Anything else you can think of.
Right now dust fills the air so it is hard to see much.
If you approach and make a melee attack and then retreat it will get an attack of opportunity. You could use cunning action to avoid that, but you are already using it (and thus your bonus action) to hide. I just want to be clear on the rule implications.
My Rogue sub-class is Swashbuckler, which allows me this abilty- Fancy Footwork SCAG, pg. 47
During your turn, if you make a melee attack against a creature, that creature can’t make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn.
So I can attack and still use Cunning Action to Hide